Tuesday, June 10, 2014

Wandering into Inquiry

When I was asked by our SMWP director if I wanted to participate in an Advanced Institute this summer, I jumped at the opportunity, head first, without thinking about the already packed plate I have--teaching three online courses, I3 conference, committee plans--not to mention being wife, mother, housekeeper, laundress, etc.--and am now embarking on my first real inquiry project. As a teacher for just shy of 20 years, I've used an inquiry approach in my daily teaching life, but rarely in such a systematic and organized manner. Therefore, this is truly new territory for me, trying to study my teaching and my students' learning with an eye toward a public audience--you. If you're following me, you'll learn that I am not afraid to learn by trial and error--there will be errors. But, I'll learn none-the-less. What do I want to learn, you might ask. My question focuses on the disconnect--dissonance--between university coursework in teacher preparation and the practical work of field experiences. I've often observed that students in our program embrace the ideologies of process oriented instruction or a context based approach for literacy instruction while in the undergraduate courses safely conducted on the university campus; however, as the students approach and enter extended field experiences, the disconnect begins. So what happens? How to teacher education programs help pre-service teachers sustain the theoretical foundations gained in programs of study as they enter field experiences? How do we break the cycle of dissonance?

3 comments:

  1. I am so interested in hearing the experiences of your student teachers as they enter the field of education. I am interested to see how you can bridge the gap between what students learn in the college classroom and what they put into practice within their practicum experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is very needed! I agree with your disconnect hypothesis, and I look forward to future blogs

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can't wait to see what your research reveals about the disconnect.

    ReplyDelete